Published
6 years agoon
By
Frimpong
The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has raised concerns about the Electoral Commission’s (EC) move to register Senior High School (SHS) students in schools without registration centre.
Deputy General Secretary of the party, Peter Boamah Otokunor says these newly created centres have not been gazetted to allow for their use in the ongoing voter registration exercise.
“It is bizarre to have an Electoral Commission that is even scattered in thought and planning. No political party has a list of schools that is going to be used for the exercise. As you are already aware, some of the schools are registration centres and the exercise is going on there. Now they are adding all other secondary schools that are not polling stations. The law states clearly, that the electoral commission has the power to create polling stations but when they have done so, they must go through the process of gazetting and publishing them to political parties, 21 days before the time”, he said.
The EC has served notice that it will from Friday, July 10, 2020, deploy registration officials to various Senior High Schools across the country to capture eligible voters onto the new electoral roll and also issue them their ID cards.
This was after the decision was communicated to political parties during an emergency Inter-Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) meeting on Thursday, July 9, 2020.
But in an interview with Eyewitness News, Mr. Boamah Otokunor says that the plan is illegal.
“So this exercise they are going to have is not only illegal, it is unacceptable and unethical especially considering the fact they EC waits to do all they want to do and call political parties to inform them a day before the exercise. Now we have the EC, unethically and unacceptably do their thing and say they are going to do registration all secondary schools be it as illegal as it is. This is most unacceptable, bizarre and must be resisted by all well-meaning Ghanian”, he added.
The development comes after some members of the public raised concerns about the exclusion of SHS students from the ongoing voter registration exercise.
It had been argued that with most of the students camped in their various schools and a rule for all students to remain within the school premises and no visitor entertained, eligible students may be disenfranchised.
-todayghana
NPP Communicator Blames Mahama in Interview Over Viral Video Controversy
NPP Unveils Nationwide Reorganisation Timetable Ahead of 2026 Internal Elections
MPs Demand Tougher Action as Human Trafficking Cases Rise in Ghana
Abu Jinapor Demands Urgent Reforms to Address Ghana’s Cocoa Sector Challenges
Felix Kwakye Ofosu Defends Mahama Over Cocoa Pricing Remarks, Slams NPP Criticism
Asiedu Nketia Uses NDC Thank You Tour to Collect Feedback on Government
Speaker Urges Executive to Grant Parliament Permanent Land
Finance Expert Warns Cocoa Reforms Could Worsen COCOBOD Debt
Jinapor Swears In New VRA Resettlement Trust Fund Board