Published
5 years agoon
By
Adubianews
Post-election violence in Guinea has led to the death of at least 10 people, according to the country’s security minister.
Results from the 14 constituencies out of 34 puts incumbent President Alpha Condé in the lead over his main challenger Cellou Dalein Diallou.
But Cellou Dalein Diallou had earlier claimed victory and decried “anomalies” with results being announced by the electoral commission.
In a statement, the security ministry blamed the deaths on shootings and stabbings in the capital Conakry and elsewhere in the country.
“This strategy of chaos (was) orchestrated to jeopardize the elections of October 18,” the ministry said.
It also said that many people had been injured and property damaged.
President Condé has however called for calm as the country awaits the official election results.
Diallo, 68 is a former prime minister who lost to Mr Condé in both 2010 and 2015 elections.
The African Union monitors say the vote was conducted properly and that endorsement gives little room for the opposition to push further with claims of fraud.
National results are expected later this week though with the winner expected to obtain more than 50 percent of votes.
Should no winner emerge after the first round of voting by securing more than 50% of the total votes, there would be a second round on November 24 to pick a winner.
Alpha Conde, 82, sparked agitations when he pushed through a new constitution which he argued would modernize the country.
The changes to the constitution allowed him to bypass a two-term limit for presidents in order to seek a third term.
Asiedu Nketia Uses NDC Thank You Tour to Collect Feedback on Government
Speaker Urges Executive to Grant Parliament Permanent Land
Finance Expert Warns Cocoa Reforms Could Worsen COCOBOD Debt
Jinapor Swears In New VRA Resettlement Trust Fund Board
Minority Demands Dismissal of COCOBOD CEO Over Cocoa Price Crisis
OSP Questions Baba Jamal Over Alleged Vote-Buying in Ayawaso East Primary
Police Arrest Woman Over Fire Incident at Alpha Hour Founder’s Church
NRSA: Commercial Tricycles Still Illegal Under Ghana’s Road Traffic Laws
NADMO Launches Rainy Season Safety Campaign in Fanteakwa South Markets