Collins Dauda attacked with pepper spray at voters’ registration center

Member of Parliament for the Asutifi South, Collins Dauda, was on Tuesday June 30th 2020 whilst monitoring processes at some registration centers at Acherensua, in the Ahafo Region pepper-sprayed.

The MP according to the report was at the Methodist Primary School registration center at Acherensua when he was confronted by a man who took out a bottle of pepper spray and spurted directly into his eyes.

“I went on monitoring to see how the registration is going on and at the Methodist Primary School, a gentleman pulled out something. Without provocation, he pulled out something and sprayed into my eyes and it turned out to be pepper spray. It happened in the midst of police men deployed from the regional command at Goaso. They are the ones who helped me into their car because my car wasn’t around, and took me to the hospital where I received treatment at Acherensua Health Center,” he narrated, in an interview with GhanaWeb.

Mr. Dauda is however accused the driver of his opponent; Yaw Owusu Brempong, for being the brain behind the act.

“He is one of the drivers of the opponent, the NPP Parliamentary Candidate. His name is Okai Emma, he is the one who did that,” he said.

“It’s not as if there was a fight, its not as if there was an exchange of words, nothing. I want to believe that it was planned, otherwise why would anyone go to a registration center with a pepper spray in his pocket? Besides he is not somebody who is from where the registration was taking place, he is from a different community. He is from Hwidiem, our district capital and this incident happened at Acherensua so why did he leave his house with a pepper spray in his pocket, and didn’t spray it on anybody but me? So it shows clearly that they planned to do that, and they succeeded in executing it,” he added.

The Asutifi South MP has since been discharged and has reported the incident to the police.

“I’ve been discharged, I’m not sure I even spent more than an hour in the hospital. I went back to the registration to supervise. I’m very okay, I don’t know what happens overnight,” he noted.

“From the hospital I went to the police to make a formal report at the Acherensua police station and I hope that they get him arrested and for the law to take its course.”

Mr. Dauda said the police personnel who were present at the time of the incident rushed him to a health facility.


You may also like...

You may also like...