Connect with us


Man arrested for stealing roof and doors of 14 mosques.



Man arrested for stealing roof and doors of 14 mosques. 49



A 21-year-old man identified as Abba Haruna has been arrested by the police after stealing roofs and doors of 14 mosques in three LGAs of Jigawa State under the pretext of building new ones.


The suspect was arrested after being busted as a swindler. He had removed the roofing sheets and doors of the mosques, and sold them to scrap merchants.


Daily Trust reported that spokesperson of the magistrates’ court in Kiyawa town, Abbas Rufai Wangara, said Haruna was accused of vandalising and stealing roofing sheets, doors and windows from a mosque.


BBC also reported that the suspect carted away materials belonging to 14 mosques in Taura, Kiyawa and Jahun LGAs of the state.


Village Head of Kanoke, Ussaini Wanzam Ilyasu told newsmen that Haruna came to the village a couple of weeks ago, claiming that he was working with an Arab NGO that would build a bigger mosque hence that they should demolish the old building.


He said;


 “So, after demolishing a section of the mosque, saying he would use it for filling; he collected the roofing sheets, windows, doors and hand-pump borehole and went away with the materials.

“He even paid the labourers who demolished the mosque. He paid those who removed the rooftop N5,000, electricians N2,000, while those who demolished the courtyard were also paid N5,000.”


Haruna was arrested while attempting to trick another community which officials raised alarm after being suspicious of his visit to the community.


Ilyasu added;


“When he entered Katika community for the same act, since they had knowledge about our own experience, they became wary of him. They came to us, intimating us that they caught a man who came to remove their mosque’s roofing.

“Immediately I set my eyes on him I recognised him. When he was asked of the whereabouts of our mosque’s materials, he said he’d sold them.”


Police spokesman in the state, DSP Lawal Shi’isu Adam also said the fraudster was charged to court after being arrested.