Here are some major world events that took place between 1900 and 2000:
- World War I (1914-1918): A global conflict involving major powers, resulting in millions of casualties and significant political and territorial changes.
- Russian Revolution (1917): The Bolsheviks led by Vladimir Lenin overthrew the Russian Provisional Government, leading to the establishment of the Soviet Union.
- Treaty of Versailles (1919): The peace treaty that officially ended World War I and imposed heavy reparations on Germany, setting the stage for future conflicts.
- Great Depression (1929-1939): A severe worldwide economic downturn, characterized by high unemployment rates, poverty, and financial crises.
- World War II (1939-1945): Another global conflict, even more devastating than the first, with widespread destruction and loss of life, including the Holocaust.
- Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (1945): The United States dropped atomic bombs on these Japanese cities, leading to Japan’s surrender and the end of World War II.
- Cold War (1947-1991): A period of political tension between the United States and the Soviet Union, marked by proxy wars, nuclear arms race, and ideological rivalry.
- Decolonization Movement (mid-20th century): Many African and Asian countries gained independence from their colonial rulers, leading to significant geopolitical shifts.
- Space Race (1955-1972): Intense competition between the United States and the Soviet Union to achieve space exploration milestones, including the first human landing on the moon in 1969.
- Civil Rights Movement (1950s-1960s): A struggle for equal rights and racial justice in the United States, led by activists like Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks.
- Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989): Symbolizing the end of the Cold War, the Berlin Wall was torn down, leading to the reunification of East and West Germany.
- Dissolution of the Soviet Union (1991): The Soviet Union dissolved, marking the end of the Cold War era and the emergence of newly independent states.
These are just a few examples of the major events that occurred between 1900 and 2000, shaping the course of history during the 20th century.