Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has emphatically stated that the government of Ghana will not dialogue with the Western Togoland group contrary to suggestions by some security experts.
Members of the Homeland Study Group Foundation have been launching onslaught in the Volta Region in a bid to declare the zone an independent state.
Security experts have suggested to the Akufo-Addo-led government to negotiate with them, however, Dr Bawumia says the actions of the group are criminal.
“Negotiate with who, these criminals…on what basis? It doesn’t make sense. If so then we’ll be open to many things, tomorrow you’ll go somewhere and some group will get up and say the northern territory has to also be somewhere else. What we need is intelligence and we’ll try to deal with this,” Dr. Bawumia said on Asempa FM on Wednesday.
“I am very confident and comfortable with the work and reports that the security agencies have done so far. In fact, they’ve foiled things that could have been worse already,” he said.
Dr Bawumia further urged the general public to join hands in supporting the forces to carry out their duties in restoring calm to the region.
On Tuesday, the group attacked the STC yard at Ho and set ablaze a bus and beat up drivers of the company.
A few days ago, it emerged that the armed group who planned to attack parts of Eastern Ghana had targeted the Ho Central Market and other key installations belonging to the state.
This was contained in a statement jointly signed by the Ghana Police Service and the Armed Forces Friday night.
The members of the Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF) attacked two police stations in the eastern part of the West African nation in a bid to declare the territory independent.
They managed to capture three personnel of the Ghana Police Service during the dawn attack and reportedly made away with weapons belonging to the officers.
Their action created huge vehicular traffic on the Trans-West African highway towns of Juapong, Sogakope, and other adjoining towns, prompting police and military action.
Officials have confirmed that one person was shot and killed during an exchange of fire while four others, including the Aveyime Police Commander, were also wounded in the process.
According to the police, some 31 persons have been arrested in connection with the incident.
“These arrested persons have since been brought to Accra for interrogation. Fire exchanges between the Group and security agencies led to the death of one (1) member of the HSGF and injury to three others. The police commander at Aveyime was also wounded and has been evacuated to the Police Hospital. The wounded HGSF members have also been evacuated to the Ho Teaching Hospital”, the statement explained.
All the roadblocks have since been cleared following what security forces describe as a foiled attack on the state.
The statement further re-assured the Ghanaian citizens that the situation is under control adding that: “The general public is entreated to remain calm and volunteer any relevant information on the activities of the Group for necessary actions to be taken”.